Indian Railways to achieve a new milestone today! This one states of the launch of the first engine-less and the country’s fastest train, Train 18.
To know a bit more, this ones touted to be the successor of the 30-year-old Shatabdi Express and is expected to clock speed up to 160 kilometers per hour. After the roll out from Chennai’s Integral Coach Factory, the train would be brought to Delhi on November 7 and would undergo a second round of trial run in Moradabad-Bareli section and final one between Kota and Sawai Madhopur in Rajasthan.
So, after all these successful trial and tests, it would be inducted in the Indian Railways fleet.
This semi-high speed train has been manufactured under ‘Make in India’ initiative by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai at the cost of ₹100 crore.
First, the train would undergo three to four days of trial outside the factory before being handed over to the Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO) for further trials, as per reported by ICF General Manager Sudhanshu Mani. RDSO, which is a technical adviser to the Indian Railways, would conduct testing and give its validation to the train.
प्रधानमंत्री @NarendraModi के मेक इन इंडिया अभियान को आगे बढ़ाते हुए भारतीय रेल ने विश्वस्तरीय T-18 ट्रेन का निर्माण किया है, यह ट्रेन आधुनिक सुविधाओं से परिपूर्ण है व यात्रियों को एक विश्वस्तरीय सफर देने के लिए तैयार है। आइए देखते है इसकी खासियत : pic.twitter.com/jxVvrfCkcC
— Piyush Goyal (@PiyushGoyal) October 25, 2018
Now, a quick look at the 10 trivial points of Train 18:
- Train 18 is presented as the next-generation train which has technical features for enhanced quick acceleration.
- This train also has a potential to travel up to the speed at 160 kilometres per hour as against 130 kmph of Shatabdi, which would result in the travel time being reduced by around 15 per cent once the tracks are fit to suit Train 18’s speed.
- This is a full-AC train with 16 coaches and is designed in a way that passengers can have a look at the driver’s cabin.
- It is a self-propelled train, fitted with CCTV cameras.
- There are two executive compartments in the middle with 52 seats each, whereas trailer coaches have 78 seats each.
- Train 18 also has diffused lighting, automatic doors and footsteps and a GPS-based Passenger Information System, among other features.
- The footstep in the coach’s doorway slides outward when the train stops at a station enabling passengers to alight safely with comfort in view of the variation in height between a train’s floor and the platform.
- The doors of Train 18 open only after the train stops to ensure safety of passengers and the train starts only after all doors are shut.
- It has seats that can rotate 360 degrees and can be aligned in the direction of travel.
- Additional features of Train 18 include an on board infotainment system with Wi-Fi, vacuum toilets and continuous windows.
So, excited enough?!! Well, same here!